Brandeis Dining Services workers who are represented by Local 26 of UniteHere (a national union of hospitality and food service workers) are renegotiating their contract with Aramark this summer/early fall. As we enter into the final stretch of school, we in the Brandeis Labor Coalition (BLC) want to rally as much student, staff, and faculty support as possible to show Aramark that they must sign a contract that provides raises, rights, and respect Brandeis workers.
There are a few different ways to get involved and actively demonstrate your support for the campus’ dining services workers:
1. Sign the online petition and pass it along to your friends.
2. Attend a meeting this Wednesday with Unite Here representatives, campus workers, and members of the BLC at 2:30pm this Wednesday in Lower Usdan
3. In Waltham/Brandeis over the summer? You can have the opportunity to join the negotiation team and bargain directly with Unite Here reps, workers, and Aramark staff
4. Contact Rachel Sier, firstname.lastname@example.org, if you want more information about the upcoming campaign
Interested in pursuing a job in the non-profit field, but unsure of what the different opportunities are?
The Office of Experiential and Community-Engaged Learning and the Department of Corporate and Foundation Relations have teamed up to offer two workshops next week focused on successful fundraising and grant writing, two of the most viable non-profit jobs on the market today.
These workshops were specifically designed to fit the interests of the Brandeis social justice focused undergraduate, and depending on student feedback and participation there is a strong possibility that a longer workshop series will be offered in the fall semester. So make sure to RSVP for one (or both!) sessions through Hiatt NACElink https://brandeisu-csm.symplicity.com/students.
Fundraising 101 | Tuesday, April 5th 5-6:30pm | Shapiro Campus Center Room 313
• Terminology and acronyms
• How to get started
• Where to look for grants
• Deciding where to apply
• Reviewing RFP’s (Requests for Proposals)
Successful Grant Writing | Thursday, April 7th 5-6:30pm | Shapiro Campus Center Room 313
• Overview of grant writing
• Writing a letter of inquiry
• Crafting a convincing proposal
• Group analysis/writing exercise