From Alex Kern, Protestant Chaplain, for the Interfaith Chaplaincy:
Dear Brandeis family: Blessings and peace be with each of you.
Chaplaincy is deeply saddened by the death last night of a dear member of our Brandeis community, Kat Sommers.
We are holding Kat, her family, her friends, and the entire Brandeis community in our prayers today, and in the days to come, as we gather to heal, remember, and pledge ourselves to one another and to the precious gift that is our life together.
Thank you all for the many ways you are caring for one another and for this community. Your love and support is powerful indeed, and is, I believe, one of the chief reasons we are are here on earth.
At times such this, faith and spirituality can be a real source of comfort, meaning, and community.
For those who wish to gather together this week, here are some opportunities:
1) Tomorrow, 11:00 the Student Union has planned an ALL CAMPUS VIGIL, beginning at the Usdan Peace Circle, and walking hand in hand to Sherman. There will be messages, silence, and a time for sharing. Thanks to student union President Daniel Acheampong for his leadership and email earlier today. Let him know if you’d like to help:
2) Tomorrow, 7:00. Brandeis Christian Fellowship meeting, Christian Lounge, Usdan.
3) Friday, Interfaith Peace Vigil at Usdan Peace Circle, will provide further opportunity for silence, reflection, prayer, and song. Imam Talal Eid, and staff members Eileen Kell and David Weinstein will help facilitate.
4) Friday Muslim Jummah Prayer, 12:45, International Lounge, Usdan.
5) Friday Shabbat Services, time and place to be announced tomorrow through Hillel listserve by email@example.com.
Please take care of yourselves, and each other, and reach out to Chaplaincy among the many other campus resources available to you in this time, and yearround.
Imam Talal, Rabbi Elyse, and I are here at various times throughout the remainder of this week. Father Walter leaves for Rome this evening, and was on campus last night and today. Our emails are firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, and firstname.lastname@example.org. My cellphone is 617-455-5323.
Be well, take care, be in touch,